I have purposely kept the supply list as simple and inexpensive as I can. I suggest buying the more expensive items at Hobby Lobby or Michael’s using their 40% coupon, or ordering through Amazon. You can also find DIY posts for certain art supplies (e.g. homemade gesso or decoupage) on Pinterest, but make and use at on risk because I haven’t tried them! 🙂
These are supplies I will be using during class, please don’t feel obligated to purchase anything upfront or spend money if you have a similar product already. Simply use what you have.
(Some items below are Amazon affiliate links. If you purchase through these links, I will be paid a small commission – at no additional cost to you.)
Basic Supply List:
- Sketchbook (simple copy paper will do)
- Watercolor paper (the best you can afford – this pad is my favorite or a Strathmore mixed media book
- 4 (or more) 8×10 canvases or canvas panels (or choose a variety of sizes). If panels are too expensive, consider purchasing an “Acrylic Pad” for some of the painting projects. These papers are texturized, having the same “tooth” as canvas, and will work well for most of our projects.
- Mechanical pencils
- Charcoal pencil set
- Kneaded eraser (comes free in charcoal pencil set above)
- Watercolors – this simple set will do
- Acrylic paints in your favorite colors
- Assorted paint brushes (you’ll use the same ones for acrylic & watercolor)
- Oil pastel set (crayons or chalk pastels may be substituted)
- Foam Brush
- Black permanent ink pens – I prefer PITT Artist Pens or Micron Pens, but a Sharpie extra-fine point will work in a pinch
- White gel pen – these are my favorite (& maybe a white fine-point Sharpie poster paint marker – water based only)
- Gesso (optional) – this is what I use
- Decoupage (matte finish)
- Old book pages, maps or decorative scrapbooking papers
Gather These Supplies from Around the House:
- Paper or styrofoam plate
- Baby wipes
Masterpiece Society is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.