“We cannot measure the influence that one or another artist has upon the child’s
sense of beauty, upon his power of seeing, as in a picture, the common sights of life;
he is enriched more than we know in having really looked at a single picture.”
~ Charlotte Mason
Masterpiece Society Homeschool Art Appreciation
This curriculum for homeschool art appreciation has been developed with the busy mom in mind – no prep time or other materials necessary – photographs of each painting, lessons, kid-friendly video links, art templates, and notebooking pages are all included in each PDF packet!
Created to be a stand-alone program, these lessons were developed especially for moms who want to give their kids a comprehensive appreciation for art and encourage them to form connections with the artists, but who don’t necessarily want the mess that art can bring. (If that’s you, then I’ve got you covered…just keep reading!)
Masterpiece Society Art Appreciation exposes students to the great masters and their classic works of art. This program is intended to educate, inspire and help the student create rich relationships with the old masters. My desire is that it will encourage their own artistic expression, spark their inner creative abilities, and instill in them a lifelong love of art.
A Stand-Alone Art Enrichment Program
No other materials are necessary with this program! Here’s some of what’s included in each PDF packet:
- Biographical information (and fun, quirky facts) on each artist
- Artist quotes for copywork, journaling or future art projects
- Historical background of the art movement in which he or she created
- Quality photos of each classic work of art we study
- Descriptions of the mediums and techniques used by the artist
- Art terms and definitions specifically related to the artist
- Internet links to virtual museums, galleries and other helpful websites
- Links to kid-friendly art enrichment videos
- Thought-provoking questions to encourage critical thinking skills
- Printable notebooking pages for narration, copywork or memorization
- Printable art templates (which can also be used as coloring sheets for younger students)
- Recommended books, movies and other resources for further study
Digital PDF Download
Access from any device connected to the internet,
and/or print out to create your own Art Appreciation notebook.
How to Use This Curriculum
These lessons are written for upper elementary through middle school students, although they can be adapted for younger children and even teens. (See how below.)
Use these lessons as:
- A stand-alone art appreciation curriculum
- A supplement to your family’s classical or Charlotte Mason art and artist study
- Part of your morning time/morning basket or afternoon teatime!
- A “no fuss” art course – simply use the templates as coloring pages for preschoolers and kindergarteners to “create” alongside older siblings (older students can use templates to transfer patterns for painting projects, or they may prefer to color in with pastels or colored pencils)
- Part of a unit study
- Part of your history studies
- An accompaniment to the Mixing with the Masters: Mixed Media Workshops
Please note: Although the lessons coordinate with my mixed media workshops, Mixing with the Masters, you do not need to purchase the art course to get a well-rounded enrichment experience.
However, if you’d like to delve even further, the art lessons will be the “icing on the artsy cake” and will help your kids and teens form an invaluable relationship with the artist and his or her works, as well as giving them a deeper understanding of the methods they used. Click here or on images above to learn more about Mixing with the Masters art courses.
Art Appreciation Release Dates:
***Set One: AUGUST 7, 2017 & Set Two: SEPTEMBER 4, 2017***
Would you like to view a sample of the Leonardo da Vinci lesson? Click below:
Q: Will I receive a physical book?
A: No. Masterpiece Society Art Appreciation is a PDF digital download purchase. The convenient PDF format means you can read it from your computer, iPad, or eReader – and click on all the virtual links, or print it out, then have your child(ren) create their own Art Appreciation notebook.
Q: How many pages are in each PDF packet?
A: Each individual volume will vary in length depending on the artist and works of art studied. In general, there will be anywhere from 45 to 55 pages per artist study.
Q: How can I purchase Masterpiece Society Art Appreciation?
A: Purchases can be made via Shopify or PayPal by clicking on the “Add to Cart” button anywhere on this page.
Q: What happens after I purchase?
A: After your secure purchase, you will receive a link from which you can download Masterpiece Society Art Appreciation. Click on that link immediately and download your copy. Then save it to your desktop or a folder on your computer where you keep your other digital download purchases. (NOTE: If you are purchasing during the pre-sale event, then your downloads links will come on AUGUST 7th and/or SEPTEMBER 4th, depending on which set you purchased.)
Q: Can I share Masterpiece Society Art Appreciation with a friend?
Q: Are there any nudes in these lessons?
Q: Do I need art supplies for this program?
A: No. This is an art appreciation study. However, I do include templates of each artwork we study which can be used as coloring sheets for younger kids (older students can use templates to transfer patterns for painting projects, or they may prefer to color in with pastels or colored pencils). If you want a full art course, please see my Mixing with the Masters mixed media workshops.
Q: Who is this program for?
A: These lessons are written for upper elementary through middle school students, although they can be adapted for younger children and even teens.
Q: Do you offer Homeschool Co-op Licensing?
A: Yes. I offer a co-op license at a deep discount. Please contact me for pricing at: alishagratehouse [at] gmail [dot] com.
Q: I am a blogger; can I join your Affiliate program?
A: Yes, I would love for you to join my Affiliate Program here.
Have a question that isn’t answered above? Please contact me at: alishagratehouse [at] gmail [dot] com.
Alisha Gratehouse is an artist, art instructor, minister’s wife, and homeschooling mom of three. Her days are filled with creating, painting, writing, drinking lots of tea, laughing with (and at) her family, and spontaneously bursting forth into song. Alisha is the author of several books including, A Life That Flourishes.