What’s the Purpose?
This fall, the Masterpiece Society will begin holding a weekly “Art Challenge” for kids and teens. The purpose of this challenge will be to encourage them to create art for the simple pleasure of doing so – no pressure, no “art” rules (although certain guidelines will be in place).
These fun and playful art prompts will allow students to use their creativity and imagination, while expressing their own unique style.
How Does the Art Challenge Work?
- Each month will have a specific theme, and each week will have a specific prompt (see examples of each below).
- When the challenge begins, I will send out the Theme-of-the-Month via email, along with that week’s prompt. (NOTE: All challenges will be sent out on Fridays to give kids and teens the weekend to create.)
- Student creates a piece of art according to each week’s theme, but may choose his or her favorite:
- Art medium (acrylic, watercolor, oil or chalk pastel, markers, colored pencil, charcoal, etc.)
- Art technique (drawing, painting, manga, doodle lettering, mixed media, sculpture, collage, etc.)
- Once art piece is finished you (or your older kid/teen) can post on Instagram, using the hashtag: #masterpiecesociety (or send to me via email), then I’ll re-post them on a special Instagram feed for all participants to see.
Themes & Prompts:
- Great works of literature, literary characters, & authors
- prompts may include: Tolkien, Conan Doyle, Austen, Brontë, Alcott, Shakespeare, Dickens, Lewis, Wilder, Montgomery, Milne, etc.
- Favorite poems and poets
- prompts may include: Tennyson, Shakespeare, Keats, Byron, Whitman, Coleridge, etc.
- Geekery / Fandom
- prompts may include: Doctor Who, BBC Sherlock, Harry Potter, LOTR, Sci-Fi, etc.
- Historical figures
- Famous quotes
- Seasons & Holidays
- And more!
Sound like fun? Sign up below!
If you feel this Art Challenge will be something your kid or teen will enjoy, then sign up below to stay informed & to find out each week’s prompt:
Alisha Gratehouse is an artist, art instructor, minister’s wife, and homeschooling mom of three. Her days are filled with creating, painting, writing, drinking lots of tea, laughing with (and at) her family, and spontaneously bursting forth into song. Alisha is the author of several books including, A Life That Flourishes.